For Local Teens, By Local Queers+Allies
This list is for our local Utah County & south Salt Lake County LGBTQQIPPA+ teens and their families.
Local: within Alpine, Provo, and Jordan school districts. (Cities: Alpine, American Fork, Bluffdale, Cedar Fort, Cedar Hills, Copperton, Eagle Mountain, Fairfield, Herriman, Highland, Lehi, Lindon, Orem, Pleasant Grove, Provo, Riverton, Saratoga Springs, South Jordan, Vineyard, and West Jordan.)
- Virtual community
- Local Teen & Family Support
- Additional Utah Services & Organizations
- Teams, Interest Groups & Hangout Spots
- Workplaces for Teens
- Booklist – Teens + Kids
- Teen Volunteer Opportunities
- Health Providers & Therapists for Teens
- Help for School Clubs
- Dating (for teens & parents)
- For Teachers
- Coming Out: Resources for Youth and Families
- Digital Podcasts & Information
- Online Glossaries of Queer Terms
- Utah Pride Center Youth
- HRC Direct Online and Phone Support Services for LGBTQ Youth
- Gender Spectrum has online groups
- GLBT National Youth Talkline
- QChat Space
- Trevor Project, Utah and TrevorText a confidential text message with a Trevor counselor – text START to 678678
- Other help? One place to start is Utah211.
- Concerned about someone in crisis? Utah Pride Center Suicide Prevention
mentalhealthmatters #lgbtqmentalhealth #mentalhealthawareness #lgbtq #bornperfect #equalitymatters #accelerateacceptance #prideeverywhere
🏳️🌈 Local Teen & Family Support
Due to the global COVID pandemic, most current local support and community events have paused or moved online.
- Rainbow Mutual
- Encircle (SLC, Provo) currently all virutal
- Pride Center Youth (SLC) currently all virtual
- Local high school GSA clubs
🏳️🌈 Additional Utah Services & Organizations
🏳️🌈 Teams, Interest Groups & Hangout Spots
List under construction…
🏳️🌈 Workplaces for Teens
List under construction…
- Coffee Creations (Saratoga Springs), 18+
🏳️🌈 Teen Volunteer Opportunities
🏳️🌈 Health Providers & Therapists for Teens
- Advanced Awareness Counseling (Provo, Sandy)
- Celebrate Therapy (Provo)
- Expressions Counseling Center (Lehi)
- Family Solutions Counseling
- Flourish Therapy (Provo)
- Healing Steps Counseling (Lehi)
- LGBTQ-Affirmative Psychotherapist Guild of Utah, Utah-wide directory searchable by location, services, & insurance
- Mindful Counseling (Provo)
- Rebirth OBGYN, Transgender Health (SLC)
- TrevorText, text START to 678678 (confidential text message with a counselor through The Trevor Project)
- University of Utah Transgender Health Program (SLC)
- Wasatch Behavioral Health (Provo)
Transgender/Non-Binary Resources in Utah (This google spreadsheet is full of wonderful resources! Everything from voice coaching to makeup tutorials to transition service providers.)
🏳️🌈 Help for School Clubs
- GSA Network ~ What is a GSA club?
- ACLU ~ How to Start a Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA)
- Teaching Tolerance ~ 10 Tips for Starting a GSA
- GLSEN ~ How to Find a Club Advisor
- GLSEN ~ Educators! Support Your GSA
- GSA Network ~ How to get more members & allies
- GLSEN ~ Know Your Rights
- GSA Network ~ Fundraising for your GSA
- Ok2bme ideas for GSA activities
Reach out to your parents’ friends, your neighbors’ friends, or your friends’ parents and see if someone would be willing to bring snacks to your club meeting once a month! Or drop off a game to play! Figure out who your resources are and start there.
Here’s a list of scholarships we’ve found for LGBTQ+ teens. We recommend also checking whether your prospective university/college/school has a LGBTQ resource center; a center can help you identify local resources, support groups, & scholarships.
In Utah County, 16 and 17 year olds may pre-register to vote and will be automatically sent a ballot when they’re eligible to vote (age 18). Find more information at the Utah County Election Division’s website or at the Salt Lake County Election’s website.
- AMAZE (or their YouTube channel)
- Healthy LGBTQ Relationships, Stop the Hurt
- Healthy Relationships, the Trevor Project
- Romantic Relationships in Transgender Adolescents: A Qualitative Study, January 2021, published in the Official Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Articles about sex, STDs, puberty, doctors visits, relationships, bullying, privacy, LGBTQ, and more at plannedparenthood.org/learn/teens
- 5 Tips For Talking To Your LGBTQ Child About Sexual Health
- How Can I Talk to My Child About Consent?
- LGBTQ Sex Myths, Preconceptions, and Safety Tips
- Talking to Your LGBTQ Teens About Sex from Lighthouse, a group of NYC-based healthcare providers specializing in LGBTQ+ health issues
🏳️🌈 For Teachers
Introduce yourself with your pronouns to your students and coworkers! Idea: Put just one rainbow sticker somewhere in your space, or wear a rainbow pin on your lanyard. There are lots of ways to show allyship! Find something that feels true to you.
- Did you know? News: Utah Repeals ‘No Promo Homo’ Law
- 10 virtual activity ideas from Youth Assisting Youth for virtual mentoring relationships.
- Due to COVID, Gender Spectrum hosted a webinar, “Creating Online Spaces for LGBTQ+ Groups.” More info here.
- ADL Lessons & mini Lessons: Understanding Heterosexism and How to Be an Ally, Microaggressions, Let’s Get It Right: Using Corrent Pronouns and Names, Identity Iceberg, and more
- GLSEN Educator Resources
- HRC + National Education Association virtual teaching checklist, Zoom backgrounds, tips & more!
- HRC’s Project Thrive – build the skills and capacities of all youth-serving professionals to better meet the needs of LGBTQ young people.
- LGBTQ History.Org Teaching Instructional Resources
- Making Caring Common Project: Supporting LGBTQIA Youth Resource List – from Harvard Graduate School of Education
- National Association of Secondary School Principals board of directors statement on supporting LGBTQ+ Students & Educators
- National Association of School Nurses position on LGBTQ youth
- No Place for Hate
- Trevor Project Trevor Support Center: In School
(For our elementary teacher friends!) WelcomingSchools.Org, “Resources for an LGBTQ and Gender Inclusive School”
🏳️🌈 Coming Out: Resources for Youth and Families
- ADL Table Talk, guides and questions to start conversations and dig deeper.
- Be Yourself: Questions and Answers for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning Youth, from PFLAG
- Coming Out: A Handbook for LGBTQ Young People, from the Trevor Project Trevor Support Center
- Family Acceptance Project at San Francisco State University
- Our Children: Questions and Answers for Families of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Gender-Expansive and Queer Youth and Adults, from PFLAG
- Parents and Family by Gender Spectrum
- Transgender/Non-Binary Resources in Utah
- Youth Laws (equality) via Equality Utah, from the State Equality Index and compiled by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation and the Equality Federation Institute
🏳️🌈 Digital Podcasts & Information
- Advocates for Youth: Are you an askable parent?
- Advocates for Youth: Fact Sheet Puberty Blocker Pills
- Gender Spectrum ~ Education
- Gender Spectrum ~ Faith
- Gender Spectrum ~ Schools in Transition: A Guide for Supporting Transgender Students in K-12 Schools
- Gender Spectrum ~ Medical
- Gender Spectrum ~ Mental Health
- Gender Spectrum ~ Parenting & Family
- Gender Spectrum ~ Teens
- History is Gay podcast
- HRC A Parent’s Quick Guide for In-School Transitions: Empowering Families and Schools to Support Transgender and Non-Binary Students
- HRC Growing Up LGBT in America
- HRC Supporting Your Young Gender Non-Conforming Child
- It Gets Better Project
- More than Sad (be smarter about mental health) for High school students, Parents, Teachers
- Planned Parenthood: All About Sex, Gender, and Gender Identity
- Planned Parenthood: Sexual Orientation
- Straight for Equality ~ allies toolbox
- The Trevor Project